• Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
    Pop Culture Beast proudly supports The Trevor Project
    Please consider doing the same.

    “Zelda” Symphony brings new and old audiences together at the Greek



    I was 17 when The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was released. My brother, cousin and I played through the entire game over one Thanksgiving break, using it as an excuse to avoid the family reunion that was also happening. In my cousin’s darkened room, fueled by cases of soda, we explored Hyrule; it was as exciting to watch as it was to play. No other game compared to it at the time in scope, largely due to the magnificent score composed by Koji Kondo, who has created the music for the entire Zelda franchise. My cousin passed away about seven years later, and that weekend playing OoT remains my favorite memory of our time together. My brother and I eventually ended up getting matching triforce tattoos in memory of him, and our love for the series.

    So it was with crazy anticipation that I attended the concert, accompanied by my 10 year old son, also (obviously, as he has no choice) a fan of the series. The Greek Theatre, a venue I definitely hope to visit again, hosted a mixed crowd: from the fancy-pantses wearing their best, to the cosplayers, to the legions of fans in green floppy hats, the audience was electrified. There were dueling Links and various incarnations of Zelda, all thronged by fans eager for pics with their favorite heroes. *Note to self: make Skull Kid mask for next time.* Zelda Williams, daughter to Robin and named for the franchise, played host. Thanks to the history of her name, she has become the unwitting spokesperson for the fandom, a title which she gladly seems to embrace. Charming, cute, and *just* the right amount of geeky, she did a great job engaging the crowd and moving the show along. I definitely came away a fan of hers after the concert.
     
    The Symphony itself, with arrangements by music director Chad Seiter and conducted by Eímear Noone, was a journey through the series with an overture and four movements, covering Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and A Link to the Past. Also featured was music from Link’s Awakening and Majora’s Mask, plus a couple extras like a tribute to the Gerudo Valley ladies as encores. The orchestra and choir more than did Kondo’s score justice, accompanied by game highlights on three large screens. As each movement was presented, fans of whichever incarnation was playing would hoot and holler. Noone was ebullient and animated, feeding off the power of the orchestra and the adoration of the crowd. She was obviously proud to be a part of the magic that was happening, and it showed.

    The movements were simply gorgeous. It was breathtaking to hear the music I’ve adored over the years come to life via live orchestral performance. Obviously, the OoT movement was particularly sweet for me, and I completely nerded out. The best part? So did the rest of the audience; it was the rockingest symphony I’ve ever been to. At the end of it all, the standing ovation was nearly instantaneous.

    And so I sat beneath the stars at the Greek, my son snuggled in a green hat under my arm, reliving the music and memories of the countless hours I’ve spent with Link and Zelda in Hyrule. Confession time: I cried. A lot. However, the guy next to me did as well, so I was in excellent company.



    All photos courtesy: Andrew Craig

    0 PC Beasts Commented:

    Post a Comment

     

    Popular Posts

    Blog Archive

    Experience

    Subscribe to PCB!

    Disclaimer

    All images, characters, and related material are copyrighted by their respective owner(s).

    Pop Culture Beast receives NO monetary or gratuitous compensation for our reviews outside of ad and affiliate revenue. We do, however, review materials and products provided to us by PR Firms, Studios, Record Labels, Publishers, Artists, Affiliates, etc.

    This has absolutely no influence on the outcome of our reviews.

    We pride ourselves on our honesty and our integrity. We do not, and will not, accept financial compensation from any individual involved with any of the items we cover on this site.

    All work © 2007 - 2010 Pop Culture Beast, Garon Cockrell, and/or the author of the specific entry.

    Meet The Author

    Twitter Updates